I think I might start a new category. I was recently doused with the self-awareness the other day – by one of my lovely Colombian friends – that I am what you would describe as a “preppy girl”. This never previously occurred to me as I am not, well, Whiteanglosaxonprotestant, but it seems I have somehow managed to slip into this category. This is because:
1. I grew up listening to Backstreet Boys, N’Sync, and ’90’s Britney Spears. And Hilary Duff was my role model.
2. I love reading Western classics: Jane Austen, Edith Wharton, the Bronte sisters, Oscar Wilde,…and of course, Harry Potter.
3. I just own way too many books.
4. All my outfits consist of neutral colors, sweaters, and flats. When I was in grade school, I literally wore knee high socks, plaid skirts, and braids every day. (I’m really surprised no one beat me up.)
5. I take academia way too seriously.
6. I drink a lot of coffee.
7. I do yoga and pilates.
8. I drink green juice, and go to farmers markets.
9. I love going to the beach.
10. I’m not able to use double negatives. I just can’t pull it off.
Obvious reasons I’m kind of not a prep:
1. I have never gone “Greek.”
2. I don’t know shit, or give an F, about sports.
3. I wasn’t popular. Being a Brown nerd just earns you a solitary seat at the lunch table.
4. I don’t wear any specific brands. I just pull off the look with ordinary department store attire (ssshh!)
5. As you would probably tell by my hair, I am not Whiteanglosaxonprotestant.
6. I can actually shake my boo-tay.
I didn’t choose prep life. Da prep life chose ME!